I thought I’d try a different method of glassing the board based on the difficulty and dissatisfaction of ‘painting’ the resin on the last board. This time I bought some cheap wallboard with the slick coating on one side. I thought I could lay down some plastic, then fiberglass, wet it out, and then drape the glass on the board. The small scale test came out pretty good with some blemishes from the plastic.
Now, I would have video of glassing the full board except that my daughter decided that the GoPro on a tripod in the garage pointing at a surfboard staging area must have meant I wasn’t using it for anything, so she took it. I was at the store picking up some thicker plastic that I thought might lessen the defects in the finish. When I got back, the camera was gone and after tearing the garage apart for an hour looking for where it fell or where I must have put it, I gave up and turned back to glassing the board. Later she came by to ask where the charger was…the gall 🙂
So with the new plastic on hand I put it down with a couple layers of fiberglass on top (see pic). Then proceeded to wet it out. The larger scale did not work nearly as well, the resin was pooling beneath the glass and when I tried to squeegee it out, the glass folded over and so I did the best I could without overworking it. I draped the full sheets over the board and commenced tugging and smoothing, the excess resin began to pool and drip. It wasn’t long before I had to give up on the whole thing, rip it off and figure out what to do next.
The next attempt was to just forego the plastic and wet out the glass directly on the board, one sheet at a time. I managed to get the first side laminated, cured in the sun, and trimmed so I could do the top in the same day. Same process for the top, although you can see the squeegee lines from where I worked it too long.
For the second layer of glass, I’ll use more traditional methods. Hopefully I can keep track of my camera this time…
After a long and just brutal struggle with the 3d printer…
It is on the way… Write up to follow…
I coaxed Ally into taking the board out during an incredible Veteran’s Day swell. The overhead surf was intimidating to her but she braved crashing waves and paddled out. I couldn’t stand to see her having all the fun so I paddled her board out and switched with her. We didn’t have someone on the camera so pics are limited.
Have some friends in town from Europe for the year and wanted their kids to feel at home so I created some signs for their bedroom. I need to get a picture of the Isabel’s finished product as she added some seashells that really made this one pop!
Matej received Lego Dimensions for his birthday and needed a place to store everything. His Skylander collection in taking up all the space in the coffee table so I made him (me) this organizer. With all the character swapping during the game this worked out perfect! And it will look good in a month when he’s done playing the game.
The board came from the scrap pile, cut to size and Lego character spots were cut on the drill press with a forstner bit and I chiseled out a spot for the portal/base. The bottom half of the edge was beveled 45 degrees to make it easier to pick up. Should have cut a little storage area under the portal to keep the little bits and pieces that were left over.
Jason asked if I could make challenge coin holder. Answer: Yes sir, I can! Thanks for the challenge I hope you enjoy it!
A friend asked if I could do this. Yep. Done. Can you see the difference except the age? Didn’t think so. Also gave me a chance to dig out the CNC router and give it a function check.
I laid out a pattern on a sheet of 1/2″ plywood so that I could cut out eight supports. It ended up a little short and flimsy but it is just enough to keep the boards organized and up off the ground.
I picked up some 6′ threaded rod and cut sections of PVC as separators. Threaded everything together and covered the PVC with some pipe insulation. Awesome weekend project and room for one more board that’s under construction! Woo Hoo!
Working on a new board. Design completed. Printing has begun. WooHoo! I am planning to glass this by wetting out the glass on a table then transferring to the board. I’ll be using a Sun Cure/ Solarez resin this time around so that I can work slowly and hopefully get a better finish. Stay tuned for updates and another project log.
New Board Design – 6’6″x22″x2.25″ Fishy