Finally got my first large format test print. The calibration tests resulted in replacing the 6mm rod used for driving the x axis belts with an 8mm rod and new pulleys. I had the 6mm rod on hand so I thought I could drill out the 5mm bore pulleys which ended up off center by enough to ruin the x axis movement. I also had to replace the 5mm screws for the idler pulley because the threads were causing binding; I found some 5mm bolts with enough smooth area (grip) to fix this.
I also had to modify the back right panel to make it easier to adjust the x-axis drive belt. It looked nice inset into the extrusions but I couldn’t make any adjustments without disassembling the entire top half of the machine.
After this major revision, I printed off a vase from Thingiverse with a 2 perimeter wall. The layers began to separate after about 40mm getting worse toward the top. Overall, the print seems to be consistent which means the print head movement is good. Once the enclosure is completed I’ll print another vase with the same settings for a comparison with a heated build chamber.
I’ve got some calibration issues.
Just need to fix the xy axix calibration, add a roof and front door, and mount a spool holder on the back.
Printed with my Solidoodle 2 speed settings with 2 perimeters. Scaled 150% to 7 x 7 x 9 inches
A little filler and a paint job could transform this print into something even better. Cost was about $5.00 in plastic (85 cm3) and 6 hours to print.
Notes to self on setting up an IoT network using Raspberry Pi as Web and Node servers and Arduino/nRF24L01 modules as clients in a large mesh-type network:
I picked up a couple Nordic nRF24 modules and want to see how they might be used in an IoT capacity. Initial tests with the RF24, NRF24, and RH-NRF libraries went well with modules communicating and LED’s lighting up. That’s all good for the local net but now I need to get the Internet aspect working and that is where all the real work is to be done.
I set up my Raspberry Pi using the project instructions located here. In order to install NodeJS, I had to use the Adafruit instructions located here. So far, so good. This allowed me to control my Arduino via a web page on the local network. Technically this is good enough for a private network controlling a single nRF24 board. But I’d like to have some remote control/feedback over the internet so I can check on the system from afar and interact with multiple devices.
The Instructable located here looks to be a good starting point for incorporating a database to store collected data. But looks to still be on the local network.